Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Musings on Mad Men

Mad Men just broke the record for the most number of Emmy's won in one year. We get that show on one of our satelite channels and although I didn't see every episode I can more or less follow it. I enjoy it - I like remembering the fashions and decor of the sixties which is such a huge part of the shows quality level. The soap opera story hooks you. Many of the characters are quite attractive, both men and women. I like confirming how far women have come since then in terms of equality, respect, dignity - the way the men speak to some of those women (and about them when they are not present) is downright indignanat.

And this brings me to my musings - Why remind us of how lowly we were treated and we allowed oursleves to be treated? Is it to ensure that we don't retrocede? Or is it a sublime psycholigical ploy to let men know that once they were "superior"? I believe by giving so much coverage to something, even if the purpose is to denounce it, you are validating it to those that may feel the same way but had feared it because they felt they were the only ones. Take social problems like violence against women, pedofiles, or drug users. The more these acts are recognized in the media, it seems the more they are committed.

So the more this superior attitude towards women is glamorized by this series, (it has a glamorous feel - the clothes, the decor, the drinks..) the more we are encouraging certain types of men to perhaps aspire to it once again?

Just some things I ask myself when I find myself drawn to this program and incensed by it at the same time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a pretty blog, you are a fantastic writer! How did you find me?

Thanks for stopping by, I'll be back!