Sunday, September 2, 2007

Goodbye 'summer'

Hallelujah, September is here! The oppressive humidity of august and its accompanying haze over the sea have lifted leaving us a glorious September day of a clear blue sky and soft breeze. The flow of neighborhood traffic has returned to the manageable levels of the residents from the constant movements of holiday makers. The jubilant (read as loud) vacation noises of pool games and splashes, evening get togethers and barbecues have gone, returning to us the peaceful murmurings of neighbors and resident birds. Supermarkets and shopping malls are once again closed today, Sunday, the most civil practice that ensures rest and a reprise from materialistic purchase frenzies on the Lord's day. I love this time of year, back to school and the routine it offers, long sleeves in the evening and sweaters in October instead of tank tops and shorts or sun dresses, amazing sunsets and sunrises. AAAhhhhh, back to the wonderful life on the Med now that July and August are once again behind us.

2 comments:

Taffiny said...

I tend to feel sad as summer surrenders to the next season, but I don't think it is a true emotion, rather a hold over from my youth, when summer vacation was the best time of all.

Now that I am older, I can better appreciate the beauty of all the seasons, and I realize it is fall and spring that I like best.

And even winter, though I hate, hate, hate the cold, offers something special in its cloisteredness (ok not I am not using the typical definition of the word involved, but I think you know what I mean)

I am glad you have your part of the world back to yourself again (back from the noisy holiday travelers). And the cooler calmer season you prefer.
I wish places would close here on Sunday. We usually stay home, but my husband often has to work.

Mediterranean Views said...

Thanks for your reflections Taffiny. I know my desire for summer to end has much more to do with our human calendar and what we do in summer versus nature's summer characteristics. But that no doubt effects my feelings on all seasons, thus love of Fall and new beginnings, not nature's 'death' in brown, falling leaves and coming barreness.