Sunday, April 13, 2008

Take Me Back - Weekend Wordsmith

Take me back to swings and mountain breeze
Take me back to grandma's pancakes and biscuits
Take me back to the comfort and security of that crackling fire

Take me back to days of long awaited homecomings
Take me back to my favourite meals and flowers on the dresser
Take me back to being cherished and spoiled

Take me back to Redskins games on cold fall days
Take me back to the warmth of your laughter and strength of your wisdom
Take me back to story time cuddled against your side

Take me back to slow summer days filled with imagination and laziness
Take me back to playing in the creek, catching fireflies, grandpapa's piano
Take me back to garden vegetables picked that day for supper, and homemade pies for dessert

Take me back to those care free childhood times
When I was loved, protected, cherished, free to be
Take me back to those warm, wonderful embraces
when time stood still and I just was.....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Take me back to those warm, wonderful embraces
when time stood still and I just was"

I can't tell you how much this has touched me.

This is beautiful, thank you.

Daisy said...

Beautiful imagery. Thank you!

Mediterranean Views said...

Thank YOU for such wonderful feedback!

Anonymous said...

(this is Taffiny. I had a problem with the identity thingy)

When time stood still and I just was..

I have such childhood memories with my grandparents too.

What concerns me now, is as I long to go back, I look beside me, here at my son, and wonder what sort of experiences are being created for him. Is he feeling all that wonderful stuff? I want to give him what my grandparents gave me, but it is hard, and I think somehow it is easier with the grandparent (non primary care giver) and child relationship, to have that feeling of being purely loved and taken care of, without the -did you do this yet? did you do that? stuff mixed in.
It can be hard to know that the people who created such wonderful feelings for me, are no longer here to do so for my child, but I try to bring some of their love along with me, to touch him with it, as I try to be like they were for me, for him.

I wonder if time does stand still for kids now the way it did when I was little?

Unknown said...

I loved *Take Me Back*

I see your a Redskins fan also *chuckle*

Funny how we look back and nothing was wrong..everything now seems so perfect back then..because we choose to remember only the *Norman Rockwell* of our lives

Mediterranean Views said...

Hi ELise, Lucky to have those 'Norman Rockwell' times and the ability to focus on those positive things....also lucky in that there really was more positive than negative.
Thanks for stopping by. Amy