Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Story Lady

I am the Story Lady, El Hada de los Cuentos. Last Spring while lying in bed, thinking of my creative writing workshop endeavors, a vision came to me of myself reading stories to children in the beautiful park we enjoy in the heart of our town. So I found an image that I liked, made up the name, and decided to go to the park two evenings a week to do this reading. I mentioned it to the Library Director, a friend of mine, who put in touch with proper authorities to get "permission" to do this. Of course a free, cultural, beneficial activity, received full support from the Town Hall.

I chose different children's books each week from the library, and agreed to "borrow" and return undamaged newer titles from the local book store, and set off to do my reading.

I chose peak playground days and time: Tuesdays and Fridays at 8pm (Spanish hours you know) and brought with me a beach chair for me to sit on, a blanket for the kids to sit on, a homemade easle and poster to present the endeavor. I made flyers anouncing the activity, the days and times of my reading, and the books read that week, and handed them out to all the parents with their kids at the playground.

The first day I had 6 - 8 kids.

As July progressed the crowd grew, and a following developed: kids and their parents came specifically to hear the Story Lady. I don't know who enjoyed it more: me, the kids or the parents?

This has lead to paid reading activities for both adults and kids, in both Spanish and English through the Library. Regular paid readings at local book stores, and now I'm being approached by local publisher's sales teams to work for them in their promotional activities.
With the arrival of good weather and daylight until 9pm I am back at the park one Saturday a moth and will be there once a week in the summer, this time paid by the library. This vision has become my new path, that brings me and so many others such pleasure. I love sharing with others how ENJOYABLE reading is - for all ages and of all types of books. I am the Story Lady and my following is growing.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

*applause* *applause* *applause* how delightful!! and I love reading about the growth, the spin-off because the activity is so enjoyable for so many. how wonderful. and my heartiest congratulations, Story Lady brava!!

Unknown said...

Oh wow, Amy! This is just brilliant, and huge congratulations to you for doing such a wonderful thing, which then picked you up in its arms and gave you all sorts of wonderful things back! I love it! May the Story Lady go from success to success!

Mediterranean Views said...

Thanks Ladies for you warm words of encouragement! I just love doing it!
Amy

Taffiny said...

Amy,

!!!!! :) !!!!!!

Fantastic, this is so cool, what a lovely vision, and how amazingly well you have created it in your life. A vision, an idea, ethereal and floating, and you pulled it down, laid it out, blowing energy and life into it until it became material and solid, so it could enrich and bless you and those around you. They gather like bees around a flower. Bloom, bloom, bloom.

The Story Lady

I love this. I am very happy for you.

Mediterranean Views said...

Taffiny - Thank you for your poetry for the Story lady - They gather like bees around a flower, bloom, bloom bloom - Me encanta! I love it!
Amy