Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Something Lost

Something Lost

The assignment this week for the Creative Writing Group I facilitate is to write about something lost. I have been searching my imagination for a lost thing to write about, something tangible that falls behind a sofa or gets left behind in a cafeteria, but I keep coming back to non-tangibles.

Innocence lost, that happens over a period of time.
Virginity lost that happens once, in a moment.
Friendship lost that can happen over time or suddenly over an incident.
Childhood lost, left behind, forgotten or buried.
Opportunity lost, from procrastination or indecision.
Love lost through fear, selfishness or self-protection, in one form or another.
Trust lost, through lies, betrayal, or seemingly unimportant inconsistencies between words and actions.
Respect lost because of immoral, unethical, compromising behavior.

But I come back to tangibles and my mind jumps to jewelry that belonged to my mother. Crystal vases, glasses and china that belonged to my grandmothers.
Books and letters from my father.
Then I realize, it is not their things I fear losing.
It is their unconditional love, their encouragement, their comfort, their support, their physical presence and embraces in my life, which those things symbolize, that I have lost, and will not recover in this lifetime.

Something Lost.

4 comments:

Vesper said...

Amy, these things could help you feel the lost loved ones closer...
I have a jacket that my grandmother knitted for her more than twenty years ago. I'm wearing it a lot. It doesn't have buttons because my grandmother died before fully finishing it. When I wear it, I feel as if my grandmother were still holding me. It feels good. It helps...

Mediterranean Views said...

Hey Vesper, That's true they do. I love the idea of your Grandmother's sweater and her holding you. Amy

Taffiny said...

I think it would be beautiful to tie the two together for the assignment, as your post does. An object lost, but the meaning attached to it being lost too. someting is lost, something is missing... I have lost the ring, I have lost my mother. the silver cirlce encircling me, the circle of her arms embracing me...

Mediterranean Views said...

Taffiny, SOunds like a poem beginning..sounds lovely. Thanks for all your comments and coing to visit.
Amy