Thursday, June 7, 2007

Tribute to my Dad

With Fathers Day approaching, I no longer have a card or gift to send, weekly phone calls to catch up on, someone to chew over Redskins results with, but I have warm memories of all that and more. In tribute to my Dad, who left this world shortly after a wonderful family Christmas gathering at my brother's two and a half years ago, I copy below his Father's Day gift from me from 1999. He said it was the best gift I could have given him. Wish I could give him another one like it this year...

MY DAD

He's a cool looking guy. Just under six foot and shrinking, a bit heavy around the middle, but that's his trademark. He's always been that way and I couldn't imagine him differently. His salt and pepper beard gives him an intellectual, or perhaps bohemian, look. Both are also accurate descriptions of the man. His dark eyes light up when he smiles and his laugh is contagious. He looks relaxed and unhurried.

He's been lucky in life, able to earn a good living around airplanes, the passion in his life. He and his wife made a decision a few years ago to make flying their priority (before it was "in" to re-evaluate your priorities and get out of the rat race) and readjusted their lives to achieve that goal. They know what they relinquish to fulfill their desire to fly and don't worry about it. I admire them for that! They can't be bothered with what others think or say about them, and I admire them for that too!

His material needs are few although he indulges in some of life's best pleasures, good food, good wine and Jack Daniels. I learned to appreciate the enjoyment of sharing a well-cooked meal with interesting company around the table from him. A wonderful dinner and a fine bottle of wine forever inspire conversation, debate, analysis, or reminiscing when he's at the table. An old Spanish refrain says, "Some eat to live and some live to eat." Happily he taught me how to fit into the second category.

He also taught me about football. I impressed many a guy in high school and college with my knowledge about the rules, strategies, players, statistics, and the like, all thanks to our dedicated Sunday afternoons and Monday nights. (Nobody likes to stay up that late at night on their own on a Monday) I still remember lighting a fire late in the afternoon on crisp fall Sundays, a cup of hot chocolate and the Redskins game. If it were against Dallas, so much the better!

He's a country-western and bluegrass fan, to the core. But don't give him Garth Brooks; give him Hank Williams, Charlie Pride, or classic Willy Nelson, but he'll take Vince Gil and George Straight too. THE CHAIR - one of my favorites, and I'll never forget two stepping to it with him in my living room in Spain. Or, two stepping with him in the bars in Ft. Worth when I lived in Dallas. Of course we laughed over songs by the Oak Ridge Boys, the Bellamy Brothers and Billy Ray Cyrus. Country and western lyrics are often a good source of laughter! They were also a good source of communication when I was in high school.

The best compliment paid to him, as a father, and to me, as a daughter, was something he said a few years back. " I'm lucky. During 18 years I gave you two kids the base on which to build your lives, and now I have two responsible, law abiding, and interesting adult children, who never gave me any serious worries. I couldn't tell you how to live your lives or what to become, you had to find that out on your own." And so we did, and when we're able to come together to share all that it's a wonderful experience.

I sure miss those wonderful experiences Dad...Love You Forever

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy I love seeing your photo...and those gorgeous white homes against the blue Mediterranean sky...ahhh *sweet*

Hubby and I were a few weeks in Almunecar last year (March). Really really enjoyed that vacation.

are those flowering agapanthus behind you?

Maggie

Mediterranean Views said...

Maggie, Don't know what they are. The pucture was actually taken in California last summer...but don't tell.
When I get better practiced at all this technology I'll be incorporating and changing Mediterranean photos. Almunecar, is quieter than our area, about an hour away, with gorgeous beaches and a great castle! Even after 20 years I can't get over coming across castles, forts, turrets, all the time. My fairytale imagination loves it.

Amy

Anonymous said...

Well written article.