Wednesday, June 6, 2007

G8 vs. Grass Roots

If you read my I Believe piece below, you will see that I believe that a grass roots movement i s "threatening" the traditional power brokers of the world as we know it, and will in our lifetime bring about fundamental changes. The news today from the G8 summit in Germany supports my theory. 16,000 security personnel and a 12km (7.5 mile) fence, which I heard this morning cost 25,000,000 Euros, have been employeed to protect 8..EIGHT.. world leaders (and their entourage I assume) from over 10,000 protesters.

What does that say about our world. How many people's lives could those 25,000,000 Euros spent to build a fence significantly improve...and what did that money actually do for those EIGHT lives? Save them????? I wonder......
In latest news reports it seems the protesters have gotten closer than security planned, expected, wanted, and the leaders are surrounded, their wives have had to cancel excursions. Maybe they'll open their windows and listen. Or will they just close their eyes, look the other way and play deaf?
G8 vs. Grass Roots, I root for the underdogs..all 10,000 and counting of them.

No comments: