Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day


My Daughter's and I in Paris in Feb.

I celebrate Mother's Day twice. The first celebration is for me as a mother, I celebrated it last Sunday on Spain’s Mother’s Day. I gave myself a lovely day, decided to stay home and not go out among the noisy Spanish throng of extended families, but rather, enjoy the peace and tranquility of our own garden that my husband has been working on for days. It looks so impressive, the pool is clean, the fountain’s running. So our comida, just the fours of us, on our patio was prettier than any restaurant could offer. I did a leg of lamb on our gas BBQ and served it with the new potatoes steamed with butter and parsley, green beans, baby broccoli and beets from the garden of my new organic supplier, even made a gravy with the lamb juices, MMMmmmm. I made a pear crumble for dessert and served it with ice cream. A Rioja Reserva, and a quiet afternoon. Couldn’t have asked for more! Did lots of reading in the sun in the morning and then again after lunch while my husband watched tennis and the girls, who had late nights the night before, had naps. It felt good not to have any obligation of any kind at any time. Can’t remember the last time I had a day like that…Well today is sort of like that.

Today, the second Mother's Day celebration, on America's Mother's Day I celebrate for my mother. It was the Cudeca Cancer Hospice (where I used to work) Walkathon this morning, the 6th edition. This is the first year I was NOT involved in the organization of it, so I walked as a participant. I thought it was the appropriate way of remembering my Mom who died of cancer 7 years ago. Afterwards, I sat for awhile and enjoyed the entertainment with a girlfriend, who lost her mother a few months ago to cancer, a patient of the hospice, and we talked about how the parts of the walk we did alone were important to us.

She called me later at home and told me she'd done some writing when she got home and had written something for me. Then she read me a poem in English (she's Argentinian) about how we were not alone, but how our Mom's were there, carrying us along, folding us in their silk and cotton, from both sides of the ocean. Of course tears came, and I could barely speak, but I was so touched by how insightful it was and how special a gift she gave me on Mother's Day.
I like having two days, one for me and one for her, never shining one over the other, each celebrated for all they mean independantly.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahh. a beautiful life in the midst of your family and your delicate memories of your mother. the hint of the poems thoughts are indeed lovely (and enticing); perhaps you could post the poem for us on-lookers to see. the imagery sounds wonderful.

Maggie Rose

Mediterranean Views said...

Will do Maggie, when my friend gives me the written copy. Couldn't remember it all by heart.
Delicate memories of my mother, there are many on this blog. Can't seem to let go of them, they are ever=present, even after almost 7 years.
Amy

Vesper said...

Beautiful photos of you and your daughters!
It's good that you can have two Mother's Days, one for the past, one for the present... Our mothers will always be a part of us...
Do post the poem of your Argentine friend if you can.

Unknown said...

I was standing almost exactly on the same place 3 years ago but then it was raining heavily. I have been to Spain once. I celebrated my 17th Birthday in Barcelona. It is on 24th July and there was some celebration there (not because my birthday). It was a quite different world to me. I am not got used to so many temperamental people.

Taffiny said...

What lovely days.

So glad you got the peace and calm for your day (though it does sound like you still made one heck of a dinner).
And the reflection and tribute to your mom on the other, with a companion, who understands. LIterally and figuratively a walk you are taking together.

Despite the depth of emotion and thought in your post, my mind can still skim like a small smooth stone across it, and be taken by the site of three lovely ladies, and wonder what it would have ever been like to be young and beautiful like your daughters. To have stood looking out at the world from that vantage point, and then walked forward.