Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Mind Mapping Results

In one of my workshops, we did an exercise with Mind Mapping or Clustering and below are my resulting poems from this brainstorming, word-association like, technique.

Clustering or Mind Mapping - This is a technique similar to brain storming. A key word or idea (prompt) is written in a circle in the middle of a page. You draw a line form that first circle to the next circle in which you write the first word or image that the prompt triggered, then continue circles outwards with the words and images that this line of thought produces. When a new line of thought starts, draw a second line from the key word and develop that one out until it dries up and start on a third. There may be sub-branches or clusters as you a develop a more complex concept or memory. Continue this process until you have exhausted all the ideas that the prompt word triggers. When you go back and analyze the lines of thought produced you will more than likely find rich material for a personal story, a poem or a developed narrative.

Choose two of the following words, do a mind map for each then try and write a poem from the results.
Bridges, The Moon, Friendship. Mirror

MIRROR
The mirror reflects me
But who am I?
Is the refelction accurate?
Do I like it?
Is it what others see?

The mirror reflects me
But who am I?
Am I what you see?
Am I what I see?


Perhaps I'm what I feel.
Perhaps I'm what you feel.
Perhaps I'm all of these and yet none.
The mirror refelcts me
But who am I?

BRIDGES







Build me a bridge
Hang it over this gap
that separates me from
...from the other me.

Build me a bridge
help me cross it
get over the precipice
to the safety of the distant shore.

Build me a bridge
to other people, other villages
to close the gap
that separates us and keeps us from freedom.

Build me a bridge
to replace fighting lines
to burn away hate
to lead us to the middle common ground.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Mirror" reminds me of when I was a child and would think: isn't it amazing that i'm me and not "her" or "him"?

I truly thought it strange that by opting for "me" I no longer had the opportunity to "be" other people who obviously chose to be "themselves".

in other words, until the choice was made, any person was possible for "me".

oh. dear. I do hope this post makes some sense. lol.

Mediterranean Views said...

The question still remains - how much of the 'me' is unchangeable and pre-desiged if you will, and how much can we decide to be....

Taffiny said...

Amy,

I often wonder that too. As I also wonder, what I should be trying to change, and what I should be embracing.

I never heard of that exercise before.

Liked/enjoyed both of your poems.

Mediterranean Views said...

Good Questions Taffiny, I usually pray or meditate about it, but the answers are not always clear, or perhaps I just don't like them?